5 pointers for perfect pincurls

As time goes on, it's becoming more and more apparent that I'll never be able to reach my length goals if I don't file for ...


As time goes on, it's becoming more and more apparent that I'll never be able to reach my length goals if I don't file for divorce from my flat iron.

So for the last few months I've been experimenting with pincurls as my go-to heatless style. While it's been a lot of trial and error, I feel like I've finally mastered the style.

In the hope that I might be able to help someone else, I've gathered together the top 5 tips that have helped me to create the perfect pincurls.

1. Hair should be moisturised but not wet

I find it better to apply my moisturiser to the entire head as opposed to applying to each small pincurl section. I've realised that my hair doesn't need a lot to be sufficiently moisturised, so less product creates smoother, looser and more defined waves. Damp hair or too much product creates frizzy curls with super shrinkage - not necessarily a bad thing, but not what I'm aiming for.

2. Use oil to take down the curls

When removing the pins from the hair, I've learned that applying a thin layer of oil to my fingers helps to protect against frizzing. It also gives the hair a nice shine.


3. Keep the pincurls in overnight

My hair needs time to set, so leaving the pincurls in overnight gives my style a better chance of lasting all day. Of course, the curls will drop as time progresses, but by the end of the day, I still have a nice wave in my hair. I once tried keeping the pincurls in for just a couple of hours, and results were not good - most of the hair lost its curl immediately!

4. Don't comb or brush the hair

Instead, I gently separate the curls with my fingers. Brushing will cause the curls to frizz and lose definition.

5. Pay attention to the back of your head  

When I first began pincurling, I'd section my hair into four (one parting down the middle and one across) and work on one section at a time. As one of my partings was down the middle, this technique resulted in me pulling sections of hair to each side. This resulted in curly sides and straighter hair at the back. I've since adapted my technique, working in rows by starting at the nape and working my way upwards. This way, every section of my hair gets equal attention.

Have you tried pincurls?

What are your favourite heatless styles?

You Might Also Like

0 comments