Deep conditioning on dry hair

Reunited with moisturised hair! I recently wrote about my sudden bout of parched hair. My strands had become so dry, rough and unresp...

Reunited with moisturised hair!

I recently wrote about my sudden bout of parched hair. My strands had become so dry, rough and unresponsive to my moisturising attempts and it was really frustrating me. I suspected that my problem was due to porous hair or product buildup, but my consequential clarifying and apple cider rinses were in vain.

What I didn't mention in my last post was that I've also been experiencing major tangles after washing. So I had a long think about how I might be able to return to the soft, moisturised and well-behaved hair I had recently been enjoying. Ideas flooded into my mind, from following a complicated regime to buying new, expensive products that had been ineffective in the past.

Then I remembered something so simple - a technique I used very early on in my hair journey that I had forgotten about.

Deep conditioning on dry hair!

For some reason it seems to allow the conditioner to absorb into the strands better. The results were soft, moisturised and tangle-free hair. I applied my favourite Organic Root Stimulator conditioner in sections using an applicator brush to ensure full coverage, slapped on a plastic bag with my Look Great Heat Wrap, and rinsed after an hour. 

But why does DC'ing on dry hair yield better results? The main theory is that when the hair is wet, it absorbs water which leaves less room to accept the conditioner. By applying the product to dry hair, the hair is able to absorb more conditioner than it usually would.

It's important to note that this method of deep conditioning probably works best on hair that has been recently washed. Applying conditioner when you have product buildup may not produce the best results since the conditioner won't penetrate as much. 

I definitely feel like DC'ing on dry hair gives better results! It's amazing that such a simple tweak has bought my hair back to its proper moisture levels. Mission complete!

Have you tried this method? What were your results?

You Might Also Like

0 comments