REVIEW: S Curl No Drip Curl Activator

Yesterday I had a mini hair emergency when my airdried pin-curl style failed me . I immediately reached for my secret 'bottl...

S Curl No Drip Curl Activator Moisturizer








Yesterday I had a mini hair emergency when my airdried pin-curl style failed me. I immediately reached for my secret 'bottle of amazingness' to tame my hair into a sleek bun. It was fun teasing you guys about what my new favourite product is, but Andrea from Lengthening Locks guessed it right - Luster's S Curl "No Drip"!

Yes, I know it's been around for a while and there's a whole lotta hype about it online already, but this moisturiser has saved my hair for the last couple of weeks. It provides maximum moisture, helps with detangling and softens like no other.

The moisturiser itself is of a watery consistency which comes out via a spray pump. It's highly perfumed which may bother some but the smell doesn't tend to bother me once my hair is dry.

I've been using this product as a leave-in conditioner and also as a daily moisturiser. I've also been experimenting with pouring a bit of S Curl into my deep conditioner mix. For the first time on my hair journey, I'm beginning to understand what a moisture overload feels like. Originally formulated for people with jheri curls, the moisturiser is designed to thoroughly hydrate textured hair to create 'juicy' curls or waves. Since using this, I've never experienced hair with so much pliability - I can literally feel the increased elasticity when I'm combing my hair out.

I know a lot of transitioning ladies use S Curl on their new growth to keep the line of demarcation strong. I've found it great for detangling and keeping my roots soft, especially now that I've pledged to seriously cut down on blowdrying and straightening.

The second ingredient of this product is glycerine, which acts as a humectant by drawing moisture from the air into the hair strand. When there is sufficient moisture in the air - such as in a humid climate - this product works great. However, a very dry atmosphere will cause moisture to be drawn out of the hair, producing counteractive results.

Providing it's used in the correct climate, S Curl is great for moisturising but it works best on hair that is tied back. I've used this on my signature pin-curl style and after ten minutes of being outside in rainy London, my hair is frizzy and limp - even if it's no longer raining. That's because the glycerine sucks up the moisture from the atmosphere, raising the hair cuticle and causing poofy hair. To avoid this situation, I'd suggest using this product for styles like buns where the hair is pulled back and the ends are tucked away.

So if you're looking for a product that provides maximum moisture, softness and shine, I strongly suggest S Curl. If you're looking for something to define your braid-outs and twist-outs, I'd opt for something without glycerine.

The only major criticism I have is that if you're heavy handed or use this every day, it tends to leave a residue on the hair. It's not sticky or greasy as such, but more of a waxy feeling. If you're big on co-washing frequently, this shouldn't be a problem.

For leave-out styles and pin-curls, I definitely still prefer my African Pride Olive Oil Moisturizer Lotion simply because there's no glycerine. However, for certain other hair styles this is definitely a winner!

Pros
  • It's cheap (between £3-£4 in my local hair store, although a tad more expensive on Amazon)
  • It provides extreme moisture
  • Helps soften new growth and helps with detangling
Cons
  • Can be counterproductive in dry climates
  • Leaves a residue after a few applications or with heavy-handed use
  • Strong perfumed smell that some may not like
Ingredients: Deionized Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Argan Oil, Olive Oil, Acetamide MEA, Ceteth-20, Oleakonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Panthenol, Simethicone, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Coumarin, Alpha-Isomethyl lonone. 

Have you tried S Curl No Drip Activator? 

Have you added any new products to your stash? 

What's your fave?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I guessed it! Yay me. Lol! Thanks for the shout out. I tried S Curl briefly but I didn't really give it a chance. I had so many products and ended up giving it to my mom when I was clearing out my stash but I might have to get it back next time I visit. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrea, were you using the new or old formula? I hated the old formula when I used it years ago but then again I was straightening my hair and it made it all limp and gross.

      Delete
    2. I think it was the new formula. I think it was a little over a year ago when I bought it. It did leave a kind of waxy coating like you described. I think that's what kind of made me stray from it.

      Delete
  2. I found that the S-curl texturizer Stylin' Spray in the grey bottle smells like and performs like the S-curl no-drip Original Formula. It is available almost everywhere. It took me 5 years to discover this. Luster does a poor job of informing and retaining customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey D Cooke, thanks for your comment! This is an old post but S-Curl No Drip is still a favourite of mine - especially for mixing into conditioners.

      I just did a quick Google for the Texturizer Stylin' Spray and it seems both products have many of the same ingredients.

      I understand Luster's changed the ingredients of S-Curl a few years ago without notifying customers - not a good way to keep us happy, I agree!

      Delete
  3. Is luster a curl activator sulfate free? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete