Breakage-free bunning

Source I'm now in my second week of bunning and it feels great! I'm thankful to those who have openly joined me on my challen...

Bunning without breakage
Source



I'm now in my second week of bunning and it feels great! I'm thankful to those who have openly joined me on my challenge and also to those lurkers out there.

Protective styling is a great way to retain length, but sometimes, with the wrong practices, it can be counterproductive. Wearing your hair in a pulled-back style over an extended period of time can cause weak spots along the hair shaft, resulting in stressed and snapping strands. In this post I'm going to share a few tips on how to continue bunning without the breakage.

  • Regularly switch the position of your bun. Whether it's a cute high bun or a chic low 'do, it's important not to place your bun in the same position every day. Consistently bunning in the same spot can put extra stress on the hair in that area, and you might find you develop breakage in that spot. 
  • Choose your hairbands wisely. Avoid hair bands with metal parts as they can snag on your hair. Instead, opt for endless bands that are more gentle on your hair. Another good tip is to soak your ties in oil so that they provide extra slip when tying and untying your hair.
  • Don't tie too tight! You can still achieve a slick bun without tying your hair so tight. If you want your hair to lie flat, apply your moisturiser or styling product and tie your hair down with a scarf for a few minutes. You could also use a natural boar bristle brush to create a sleeker, flatter look. Tight hairbands will put too much unnecessary stress on your tresses, not to mention give you a headache! 
  • Moisturise before bunning. It's a good idea to make sure your hair is sufficiently moisturised before any manipulation (such as brushing, braiding or bunning). The moisture will provide extra elasticity, making your hair more pliable and less prone to snapping in the process. 
  • Take down the bun at the end of the day. I like to give my hair a rest at the end of the day, even if my style isn't tight. This also helps to give my hair some air if I decided to damp bun that day, as consistently damp hair can cause a moisture overload. 
Have I missed anything?
Do you have any tips to avoiding breakage? 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. These are all great tips. I am not big on switching sides when it comes to my buns, but you are so right. NEW FOLLOWER!
    www.chicfromhair2toe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nerline, thanks for the support! I myself prefer to wear the parting on the right, but even if it's just moving the parting a few centimetres over each way it could make a difference.

      I've just checked you out on Bloglovin' and I'm surprised I wasn't already following you as I've been reading your blog for a while. Anyway, I've now followed back :D

      Delete