No more keratin treatments?

Towel dried hair. 5 months post heat abuse! Since I've stopped using heat, I've noticed a major texture difference in my new gro...

Towel dried hair. 5 months post heat abuse!
Since I've stopped using heat, I've noticed a major texture difference in my new growth compared to the rest of my hair. To give a summary of my journey, I transitioned from relaxed hair to natural and then got the Brazilian keratin treatment (BKT). Am I still classed as natural even with a keratin treatment? That's a debate for another time, but the BKT is definitely something I would like to talk about today.

I love my keratin treatments - it smooths my hair, gives it strength, shine and movement. However, there is one downside to it that I would like to warn others about.

It speeds up heat damage.

The keratin treatment itself does not straighten hair, it simply smooths it, sometimes temporarily loosening the curl pattern. When the hair is taken care of, the treatment (at least the one I use) washes out over time, revealing the hair's natural texture after a few months.

Up until a few months ago I was using heat very frequently. In fact, I used heat regularly throughout my entire transition and it didn't affect my curl pattern at all - my strands remained kinky and coily.

However, after some months of being keratin treated, my regular flat ironing routine affected my hair permanently, creating straight strands that wouldn't revert even when wet. My theory that too much heat causes premature straightening on keratin treated hair was confirmed by a conversation with my stylist's daughter. She had decided to cut down her treatments to just twice a year as she too found that the regular flat ironing of her fringe (bangs) caused permanently straight hair.

I must reiterate that it is not the keratin treatments themselves that cause permanent straightening. It is the the regular use of heat on the keratin treated hair that will expedite this outcome.

Note that my new growth is keratin treated also, it just hasn't been exposed to the crazy heat.
It's been five months since I curbed my heat addiction, and this change is reflected in the texture of my new growth. The keratin treatments I've had in these last five months have not affected the texture of my first few inches of growth, because that hair hasn't been troubled by the harsh amounts of heat I was previously using.

I'm aware that my situation could have happened without these treatments. If used enough, heat can permanently straighten anyone's hair. But in my case the keratin treatment simply sped the process up.

Don't get me wrong: keratin treatments can be great for those who are sensible with their heat use, or those who always wear their hair straight like I did. They can help with manageability, help flat ironed hair fight humidity and strengthen, but there are precautions to take.

Now that I've finally gained the confidence to stray away from my straight style and wear heatless styles such as buns, I'm itching for my thicker, textured hair again.

At this moment in time, I'm not sure whether I will stop the treatments completely or just get them twice a year. But I definitely know that 2016 is going to be a big year for change in regards to my hair.

I plan to continue with limited heat and low-manipulation styles to ensure my natural texture grows and maintains in tact.  That's the beauty of a journey - there are twists and turns, minds change and new decisions are made!

Have you had any twists and turns along your hair journey?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nice post, Aicha. I cannot even count all the twist and turns that I've had with my journey. I look forward to seeing how your hair turns out without heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uzoma - I'm definitely dedicated to transitioning the RIGHT way this time!

      Delete