4 reasons to try co-washing!

Why would I ever want to co-wash my hair? I dread wash day as it is because of the tangles and matted hair. Why would I purposely p...


Herbal-essences-zero-conditioner

Why would I ever want to co-wash my hair? I dread wash day as it is because of the tangles and matted hair. Why would I purposely put water on my hair more often than I need to?

The above is exactly what I was saying before I tried co-washing, the act of using conditioner as a shampoo substitute. For the last few weeks I've been slowly falling in love with this method. 

The results on my hair have been wonderful and I thought I might try to win some of you over if you haven't tried it.

Yeh, yeh but how do you co-wash?

Personally, I just wet my hair in the shower, apply a glob of cheap conditioner, massage into my hair like shampoo and then rinse. 

The purpose is not to replace shampoo forever. Your hair will still require a proper cleanse every week or two to avoid product buildup. I've been co-washing my hair twice a week in addition to my weekly wash and deep condition.

OK, what's so good about it?

I've found four noticeable benefits since I've been co-washing:

1. Aids with manageability

Co-washing is a detangler's dream! Once I've applied the conditioner, I like to finger detangle in the shower. Once towel tried, my hair behaves, not tangling or matting up. 

2. Keeps hair moisturised

Our hair loves water. What better way to moisturise it than to put water on it? Coupled with my daily bunning and reduction of heat, I've noticed an increase in the elasticity of my hair and therefore less breakage.

3. Helps soften new growth

If you follow my blog, you'll know that I'm transitioning (again) back to my natural texture. New growth can often get dry, rough or crunchy, and co-washing (along with my S-curl) helps to soften and loosen my roots.  

4. Great for refreshing hair 

I co-wash after exercise to refresh my hair without using stripping shampoos. Because I'm also quite heavy handed with my product during the week, the water on its own helps to remove the gunky feeling that occurs after a few days. 

Once my hair is partly dry, I bun and tie a scarf around my head to flatten my roots.

I know co-washing is nothing new on the healthy hair scene, but if you were anything like me and shunned if before you tried it, I strongly encourage you to give it a go!

Do you co-wash? 

What were your results?

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. I love co-washing, I used to co-wash weekly and every month end I use a clarifying shampoo.

    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lebogang, what conditioner did you use?

      Delete
    2. I used Tresemme Naturals conditioner.

      Delete
    3. I used to love that line very early on in my journey, but a few years ago they started adding sodium chloride which I can't use with the keratin treatment! Salt breaks the treatment down.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you mentioned that it is not meant to replace shampoo. I love the benefits too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can be counterproductive if we don't shampoo now and again. Thank for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. Great post Aicha! I don't really co-wash I just don't like to wash my hair more than once a week, just cal me lazy lol! But I might give it a try this summer when its warmer to see how I like it.

    http://tinyurl.com/gwexanm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keoshia :) Once a week isn't lazy lol... It's just about what works for us and our hair :D

      Delete